Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.design
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Vishay talk ******** - was Teflon Film Tin Foil capacitors

Prune wrote:

Prune wrote in
4.76:

I've tried cermet potentiometers for volume control, and in a blind
test (non-double, used dual switch with my friend) I can't tell the
difference between it and a stepped attenuator; however, in 7/10
trials me and 8/10 trials him heard difference between plastic pot and
the cermet, both preferring the cermet.

John Larkin wrote in
:
It is interesting; I'll try it soon. I have a nice selection of most
everything - carbon film, metal films, cermets - but not much in the
way of carbon comps.

Er, by plastic pot I meant the conductive plastic ones such as Alps.

I can't say I was aware that Alps made any conductive plastic types.

A better test would be Vishay-Sfernice's P11(cermet) vs PA11( conductive
plastic) http://www.vishay.com/doc?51031
Note that the conductive plastic part is recommended for audio.

Graham