Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default The Great Guitar Cable Myth?

Mike Rivers wrote:

--------------------

Phil Allison wrote:

The Les Paul Recording has LOW impedance, single coil pickups, LOW impedance tone and volume controls and a step UP transformer at the output to give normal guitar levels.

The direct out is LOW impedance & unbalanced.

It could be connected direct to a balanced mic input on a console.

Some examples had a 3 pin male XLR fitted.

I took another look - you know that every time you do a Google search
for the same thing, you get some different results. When I looked at
this guitar many years back, I didn't pay much attention to the values
of the components, I was just looking for the transformer. Looking at it
again, it's pretty clear that the pickups and the associated tone and
volume components are a low impedance setup.

I didn't dig in very far, but it seems that there were three models in
this series, the Les Paul Personal, Professional, and Recording. I
believe it was the Recording model that had the XLR output. At least
that was the way the only one I ever saw, a brand new one in a music
store, was configured.

** Back in the mid 70s,I worked as an amp tech and builder in a music shop. The shop used to also sell second hand guitars on consignment and a few nice ones turned up so I was able to play around with them.

I particularly remember a Guild Starfire which sold quickly and a Gibson Recording that didn't.

The Gibson had a XLR on the front that may not have been standard.

The wiring was like the link I posted.

I felt it was a good instrument, but the tone was kinda bland.

Any decent Les Paul or SG was much better.

..... Phil