Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default The Great Guitar Cable Myth?

Mike Rivers wrote:

--------------------

Scott Dorsey wrote:

And on the other end of that scale, there was the Les Paul Recording Pickup
System with a 600 ohm balanced cable run between the instrument and the
amplifier. Nothing fancy about the pickup, it just had fewer turns and
the ground reference point was moved.

I always thought that's how it worked, but every (which I think is two
or three) wiring diagram I've seen for that guitar shows standard
pickups with conventional tone and volume controls, with transformer
between the pickup switch and the XLR jack on the guitar. The pickups
weren't low impedance, the transformer made the output low impedance and
balanced. The the guitar shipped with an XLR - transformer - 1/4" TS
plug at the amplifier end to make the guitar it work with a standard
amplifier.

** Fraid you have it all back to front.

The Les Paul Recording has LOW impedance, single coil pickups, LOW impedance tone and volume controls and a step UP transformer at the output to give normal guitar levels.

The direct out is LOW impedance & unbalanced.

It could be connected direct to a balanced mic input on a console.

Some examples had a 3 pin male XLR fitted.

http://oi5.photobucket.com/albums/y1...er/lprec-1.gif

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...Precording.jpg

...... Phil