Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default The Great Guitar Cable Myth?

On 6/5/2017 5:32 AM, Paul wrote:

http://sfguitarworks.com/the-great-cable-myth/
What do you all think?

I couldn't figure out what the "myth" is. Given that this article was
inspired by another article on a forum for bass players, I'm guessing
that the "myth" is that using a specific cable can cause a boost in the
low frequency response.

I haven't followed cables for years, not since someone put a sealed lump
in a cable and marketed it as one that enhances the sound of the
instrument - a guitar, most likely. I speculated that perhaps there was
an inductor in that lump which resonated with the cable capacitance,
resulting in a boost in a useful frequency range. Or perhaps there's a
capacitor in there which would resonate with the pickup inductance in a
useful frequency range. But these these gimmicks can only be designed
for a specific set of conditions, particularly the inductance and
capacitance of the pickup, so they won't work have the same effect for
every instrument and every amplifier.

There's no "myth" to the fact that a cable between an instrument pickup
and an amplifier can, and does affect the frequency response at the
amplifier end. But a low capacitance cable of a reasonable length
affects the frequency response outside of the range of frequencies
produced by the pickup.

If you want more bass from your bass, turn up the Bass knob on your
amplifier. That'll be more effective than any cable.