Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jens Rodrigo Jens Rodrigo is offline

Default pressure buildup rings on Sennheiser mics

Ray Thomas wrote:
I'd seen pics of them before and wondered about their size and
construction....pretty hefty price on the DPA spheres of 57 UK
pounds ! I I imagine the Schoeps items are similar in price. I was
wondering
if toy balls (eg tennis balls or smoother items), or even rubber
squash balls with appropriate holes cut might function ok. I
wonder if they'd need to be hard ....like billiard/pool-table balls...
or whether a softer foam or plastic or rubber might work just fine,
as I imagine it's the reflective surface property which is decisive,
rather than mass per se ? Certainly leaves a lot of scope for
experimentation.

It's a good idea to build or find a small wooden ball.
The discussion about wood and its warm sound is interesting.
"Does wood really sound warm?" at rec.audio.pro
http://groups.google.com.au/group/re...24d9332d1370e5
The bigger the ball, the more the treble peak wanders to lower
frequencies.

Here is a Neumann pressure microphone with
spherical acoustic surface M50:
http://www.neumann.com/download.php?...d=lect0010.PDF
Look how the frequency response changes
with objects of different shapes.