Arny Krueger

"Karl Winkler" wrote in message
oups.com
wrote:
Hello all -

I'm running Vandersteen 2CE speakers through a cheap

Alesis
RA-100 amp, and I realized recently that the high end is
(very) significantly hyped. I don't have another amp to

try
this on, but would you say it was the amp causing this
hyping, or could it be the speakers? Any recommendations

on
a $400 flat amp? I listen to several recordings through
Sennheiser HD600 premium headphones and am getting a very
different HF response. Any input appreciated!

I'd say the issue is your amp. I remember a few years back
when the Mars stores were first getting going. I was down

in
their Tampa store (one of the first) and they had a demo

room
for monitor speakers and amps. We listened to several
different amp and speaker combinations, but one amp really
jumped out as sounding harsh and hyped on the top. It was

Mackie power amp. Turns out that it had a "HF lift" switch

or
some similar nonsense - so maybe check your amp for this

kind
of a thing.

Most Mackie power amps have a switch that optimizes their
frequency response for driving constant-directivity horns,
which require response that rises at about 6 dB per octave.
This can also be implmented with a small capacitor in series
with the speaker, but at a considerable loss of amplifier
power transfer.

RA100's do't have a CD horn feature. As a rule they deliver
fairly flat response into relatively easy speaker loads.
RA100s don't have true balanced inputs, and don't have
really good low-impedance load handling. The OP might be
hearing premature clipping due to operation into a load that
is outside the RA-100's limited operational envelope.

If premature clipping is causing the perception of harsh
respone then an amp with more robust power into low
impedance loads could be a big improvement. Some more
modern, and/or Hafler or QSC for example.