Scott Dorsey

I'm running Vandersteen 2CE speakers through a cheap Alesis RA-100 amp,
and I realized recently that the high end is (very) significantly
hyped. I don't have another amp to try this on, but would you say it
was the amp causing this hyping, or could it be the speakers? Any
recommendations on a $400 flat amp? I listen to several recordings
through Sennheiser HD600 premium headphones and am getting a very
different HF response. Any input appreciated!

I don't know, but I can't imagine an amplifier much worse than the RA-100.
I'd suggest trying the speakers with an amplifier that has some reasonable
current-producing ability and see if the bottom end is not somewhat
better.

There are plenty of decent amps from Adcom, Parasound, and Hafler. Just
about anything will be a big step up from the RA-100, but I'd suggest
a used Adcom GFA-555 as a first try.

Then again, maybe the speakers aren't voiced the way you want them.
Without a decent amp, you'll never know, but with an amp you can at
least make an informed decision.