Karl Winkler

Hello all -

I'm running Vandersteen 2CE speakers through a cheap Alesis RA-100 amp,
and I realized recently that the high end is (very) significantly
hyped. I don't have another amp to try this on, but would you say it
was the amp causing this hyping, or could it be the speakers? Any
recommendations on a $400 flat amp? I listen to several recordings
through Sennheiser HD600 premium headphones and am getting a very
different HF response. Any input appreciated!

I used to own a pair of 2CEs and I don't remember them being hyped at
all. I used them with Counterpoint, Hafler and Golden Tube amps and the
speakers always took on the character of the amp to a large extent. I
also have the HD600s and have compared the headphones to speakers many
times. It's not really a fair comparison, but at least spectral balance
can be evaluated - taking the room into account with the speakers and
the difference in the way we hear with headphones, etc.

I'd say the issue is your amp. I remember a few years back when the
Mars stores were first getting going. I was down in their Tampa store
(one of the first) and they had a demo room for monitor speakers and
amps. We listened to several different amp and speaker combinations,
but one amp really jumped out as sounding harsh and hyped on the top.
It was a Mackie power amp. Turns out that it had a "HF lift" switch or
some similar nonsense - so maybe check your amp for this kind of a
thing.

Failing that, I'd definitely suggest to try those speakers with a
different amp. Bryston, Pass, Hafler Trans Nova, etc.

If you get a chance to do this, let us know how you fared.

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com