Bruce C. Miller

Binba wrote:
I'm looking for the cheapest way to upgrade TV&DVD sound in our

living
room (college-budget :-) Actually what I'm seeking is just "the next
step" beyond the TV's internal speakers, so I'm not even talking
surround. Btw the room is large, ~320sq.ft.

Seems like I have 3 options:

1. I have an old combo Sharp stereo system, seems like the power
transformator is dead. How much should fixing that cost?

You could try fixing it yourself. Since it's broken and not worth
anything, might as well try.

2. Buy a used amp (starts at $50 in ebay) and use it with the

stereo's
speakers.

You can actually get decent old 80's receivers on ebay for around $20.
Like a Sansui, Marantz, Fisher, Pioneer, or something... There's really
nothing wrong with most of them, but the market is flooded, so a buyer
can get a good deal.

3. Why spend $50+ on a used amp, if I can buy (brand new) one of

these
computer speaker systems, 2.1 or even 5.1? For the same price you can
get 50-70W RMS.

Depends on what kinda speakers you have from your Sharp system. Those
might be better sounding than some tiny computer speakers. Plus most
computer speakers don't use RCA jacks.