Binba

Default Living room sound for under $50?

I'm looking for the cheapest way to upgrade TV&DVD sound in our living
room (college-budget :-) Actually what I'm seeking is just "the next
step" beyond the TV's internal speakers, so I'm not even talking
surround. Btw the room is large, ~320sq.ft.

Seems like I have 3 options:

1. I have an old combo Sharp stereo system, seems like the power
transformator is dead. How much should fixing that cost?
2. Buy a used amp (starts at $50 in ebay) and use it with the stereo's
speakers.
3. Why spend $50+ on a used amp, if I can buy (brand new) one of these
computer speaker systems, 2.1 or even 5.1? For the same price you can
get 50-70W RMS.

What do you say? Any options I didn't think of?

Thanks,
Drew