Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Anything to say on Speakons

Trevor wrote:
On 23/07/2020 11:20 am, Les Cargill wrote:
geoff wrote:
On 22/07/2020 1:43 pm, Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoffÂ* wrote:
Why should that be any more difficult for daisy-chaining than XLR
female/male or jack ins/outs on a speaker, which are usually 'panel'
anyway ?

You can't daisy-chain XLRs, 1/4 phone, Socapex, or Canon P
connectors either,
all of which are popular for speakers.

But you can daisy-chain banana plugs and spade terminals.

I though the qualification 'panel' implied parallel connectors
mounted on a panel (or chassis, or whatever), in which case a doddle
for any connector.

It did.
For some reason, every MI grade PA or bass guitar box ever made had
two 1/4" jacks to enable daisy-chaining. I can think of no examples
with Speakon, probably because of panel real estate.

You are kidding right?

No, not at all.

All my PA speaker boxes have Speakon in and out.

That's good.

Most have for a couple of decades. Last century it wasn't so common I
guess.

Something like that. This was prior to 2012 or so. Stuff I've seen
since was powered.

We're not talking about nice PA here - bar band stuff. But it was
annoying for a while. A lot of these were size-constrained ( and cost
constrained ) so thah would be my guess why they left 'em off.

I did have to convert a very old speaker that had XLR's and phone
sockets only. But that was 80's vintage!

I've never seen XLR for speakers.

--
Les Cargill