Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design
Serge Auckland[_2_] Serge Auckland[_2_] is offline

Default Convention for naming for audio adaptors and leads

"fudgee logic" wrote in message
"Mr.T" MrT@home wrote in message
u...

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
I'd call it a phono plug-to-phono plug adapter (or coupler), as that's
what it adapts. Or a "double female phono connector", to more precisely
describe the adapter itself. (Or a "double-ended female RCA connector".
Or ... )

Most accurate and least confusing is RCA (phono) female-female adapter.
It should not be decribed by the plugs it adapts, most people would
consider
a "phono plug to plug adapter" as being Male-Male, rather than F-F.

(Does anyone call them "RCA connectors" anymore?)

Sure, less confusion that "phono" IMO, which many seem to confuse with
"phone".

MrT.

OK, I think I've got it. An adapter (or "adaptor", "coupler", "gender
changer") should be described by the connectors it actually contains
rather than the connectors which it mates with.

Can I now ask about another related usage which also confuses me. As an
example, let's say I have an adapter which has an RCA-phono socket and a
3.5mm jack plug.

Some suppliers leave out the terms "socket" and "plug". So in this
example, what is the common usage:

(a) "RCA-phono to 3.5mm jack".
(b) "3.5mm jack to RCA-phono"

One great confusion is the meaning of the terms "plug" and "socket". As far
as I'm concerned a plug goes on a cable, and a socket goes on a panel. You
therefore can have male plugs or female plugs, and the same for sockets.

Therefore your adapter above is an RCA female to 3.5mm jack male. You don't
and shouldn't mention the words plug or socket.

S.

--
http://audiopages.googlepages.com