Posted to uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tubes,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
Jon Yaeger Jon Yaeger is offline

Default The damping factor and the sound of real music

in article ,
at wrote on 12/30/07 8:16 PM:

My all time favorite speaker is the Hill Plasmatronics 1A, which we're
fortunate enough to own a pair (they only made 60)... They use a
helium/air plasma burn from 700 Hz to about 30 kHz with no frequency
or phase anomalies. I had a good friend at JBL re-engineer the mid
bass and LF sections and we run them in a triamped mode. We use it in
our "all plasma" system with a 50" Panasonic. Here's a pictu
http://hill-plasmatronics.googlegrou...stem%20Reduced
.JPG?gda=m7UOVFAAAABcRP0t-ygC4jGXPczmESS1iADB4csoaMJpc1sRLkQSmmG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2
XPURDQ1CSSbH_eQTtIk0qaXEhiK5Ac-iRnyfgpQ-sZU1Fy-pw

We have two other systems in regular use. The second is an all Quad
34/FM4/306 system, which I normally listen to for low level listening
in the wee hours. No longer have any 57s (sold them to my best
friend), but a true fan of the company and products. Also have a pair
of 63's, but they're fragile in comparison to the 988s.
http://lecson-audio.googlegroups.com...?gda=fvCmO0QAA
AAEOH9TvB6svVkOnZ2u0FwjxAr_KF4okcWUafUAs7PR_mG1qiJ 7UbTIup-M2XPURDQwkRvgQ0Z3sDg
qSdQQDR05IdEAhumLrGwkQDWveO3DqA

My "favorite system" is fairly unique which may spark a few memories
amongst the old timers. Transcriptor Skeleton with Vestigal/ADC XLM,
Gale GT20101 with SME IIi and Grado cartridge, Lecson AC1, FM1, and
AP1 and AP3 driven Gale GS401A's on the chrome stands. I run a Lecson
Google Group site: http://groups.google.com/group/lecson-audio that
some might find interesting. Stan Curtis is a regular contributor.

A picture of the last system can be found at:
http://lecson-audio.googlegroups.com...=Ruj2kEIAAAAEO
H9TvB6svVkOnZ2u0FwjxAr_KF4okcWUafUAs7PR_mG1qiJ7UbT Iup-M2XP

As for Andre's comments failings of my signature and being an ugly
American, he may actually be correct about something. I don't
suppose I would win too many beauty contests. I am very proud of
being an American, and hope my children are as well. One suspects
Andre wouldn't be so negative about the world had he grown up in
California; it was bright and sunny again today as it is about 350
days/year. His need to insult my country may be a reflection on his
own limitations.

Although I was Director of Operations for Maryland Sound years ago
(acts like Michael Bolton, Frank Sinatra, George Benson, Neil Diamond,
Pink Floyd, The Cure, etc.), I've never actually "rigged" a PA in my
career. The systems were all precabled and motorized anyway...

Emmaco,

Very impressive toy collections! Thanks for sharing.

I've been curious about the plasma technology since I read an article in
Radio-Electronics or Popular Electronics about an experimental plasma
speaker (I think I still have the article around here somewhere).

Obviously the plasma speakers are rare and cool. But are they also
sonically superior, and if so, why?

Don't mean to pester . . . but I'm very curious, since I don't think I'll
come across a pair.

Thanks

Jon