Scott Gardner

Thanks for all the replies. Between what you all have said here and
other research, I realize now how closely damping factor and negative
feedback are related, hence the typically-higher numbers for
solid-state equipment.

Scott Gardner

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 02:28:46 +0000, (123 123) wrote:

That's just an accidental by-product of the types of components, Scott.
Once you go into double figures, you have much more than enough damping
already. It is a mistake to make damping into a single measure of the
goodness of an amp, sometimes done by commercial interests because it is
so easy. They're generally the same guys who will pile on the feedback
regardless, until they've turned what should be a lobster dinner into
goop. Many ZNFB SE fans are very happy with amps that have damping
factors in the region four or five or six.

Andre

Scott Gardner wrote:

I've noticed that solid-state amplifiers tend to have much
higher damping factors than tube amps. Is damping factor measured the
same way for both types of amps (load impedance divided by output
impedance)?
What's a good minimum damping factor that won't introduce
audible artifacts, and is that minimum number the same for both
solid-state and tube amplifiers?

Thanks,
Scott Gardner