Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default The death of audio

In article ,
Andrew Haley wrote:

Audio_Empire wrote:

All true. Not that makes anything I stated, untrue. The main point
ANYWAY YOU CUT IT is that consumer digital has yet you equal the
resolution of the best 35mm film.

Well no, that's really not true, for the reasons that I stated: MTF at
10% is not perceptually relevant. Kodachrome is not sharp when
comapred with a good digital camera.

Andrew.

That's simply incorrect from what I can tell. Try this. Get the best digital projector you can find. Next get a top quality 35mm slide projector (like my Lietz Pradalux); project a Kodachrome slide to 60" X 80". Now take a 24 Megapixel digital picture and project it to the same size, both on matte screens. Now, stand 5 feet in front of each and tell me which image has held together better. In case you don't get to try that experience, I'll give you the results. I think that you will find that The Kodachrome will show a little inconsistent color gradation, but far less discernible grain (or picture elements if you prefer) when enlarged that much, but the digital picture will have broken down into individual pixels and diagonal lines will have become stair-steps. Now, some sources will sat that the most recent emulsion of Kodachrome is equal to 20 Megapixesl digital, but that's misleading.. All digital pixels are the same dimension for a given sensor, and they are usually rectangular, rather than square, so the number of pixels/inch is different in the horizontal and the vertical plane. film emulsion is more random with individual grains being different sized and different shaped. This randomness makes the eye less able to concentrate on the grains than with digital where the hard edges follow the symmetry of the individual pixels, drawing the viewer's eye to them. So, even if a digital camera picture and a fine-grained film image did have similar numbers of "picture elements", the film image would still seem sharper.

[ Please steer the conversation back towards audio topics.
Photography has ceased to serve a metaphorical purpose
here and is now being discussed in its own right. -- dsr]