Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mats Peterson Mats Peterson is offline

Default The death of audio

ScottW wrote:
On Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:53:22 AM UTC-7, Mats Peterson wrote:
MP3 is ok for content with severely cropped frequency range, like old time radio, or otherwise if using sub-optimal equipment such as a portable player and el cheapo earbuds. But I always use lossless (CD or FLAC) at home with the hi-fi system. Mats -- Mats Peterson http://alicja.homelinux.com/~mats/

When you make such a gross general statement as "MP3" you simply
demonstrate an extreme lack of experience with the technology to be
taken seriously. Everyone who has commented positively on MP3s has
included the caveat of high quality high bit rate files. I use vbr
of 240 to 355 and there is absolutely no audible degradation.

Further...the "el cheapo" earbuds that came with my Sansa clip have
lower distortion and flatter and more extended HF response than the
in room response of nearly any conventional speaker.

ScottW

Perhaps it's you who has an extreme lack of hearing? I can hear the
difference between 320 kbps and lossless without any problem. But let's
not start that old debate again, it's rather tedious.

Mats