Posted to rec.audio.high-end
David E. Bath David E. Bath is offline

Default The death of audio

In article ,
Audio_Empire writes:
In article ,
(David E. Bath) wrote:

In article ,
Audio_Empire writes:

snip

I'll tell you what's amazing: that MP3 is listenable by anyone
under any circumstances. It's just amazing that throwing away more than
90% (in many cases) of the music leaves anything that sounds even
remotely LIKE music. But it does!

And I'll repeat what many others in this forum have said: If you
believe that, then you haven't listened to any well made MP3s. Try a
well made Variable Bit Rate MP3 at a rate = 192 and you'll see that
they can sound quite good, good enough that someone who actual LIKEs
music will enjoy, which includes me.

An excellent tool to make your own MP3s is Exact Audio Copy with the
LAME encoder. It is also an excellent tool to recover tracks from a
damaged CD in that it will automatically sjow down and re-read errored
sectors to exact the data.

I certainly wish that people would read what's actually written here
(and then correctly interpret it!), rather than what they think, wish,
of hope was written! What do you think I meant when I stated: " It's
just amazing that throwing away more than 90% (in many cases) of the
music leaves anything that sounds even remotely LIKE music. But it
does!" means? It means that in spite of the indignities inflicted upon
the music by the lossy compression algorithm called MP3, that the
results are often very listenable and enjoyable.
My only beef was with the PP's non sequitur remark that MP3 can give
excellent quality. The best MP3 IS listenable, but it's not "excellent"
by any stretch of the meaning of the word "excellent."

I did totally mis-read what you said and I strongly apologise.

And I don't want anyone to think that I use MP3s for all of my
listening, only via a portable player and in my car. I always use
either CDs or LPs for listening at home.

--
David Bath - RAHE Co-moderator