Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

Default The death of audio

n article ,
ScottW wrote:

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:54:32 PM UTC-7, Audio_Empire wrote:

Only because the equipment to do it easily didn't exist when Adams was

alive and actively taking photographs. On the other hand, panorama

tripod heads have been available almost as long as photography has

existed as an art form.

Capable of a seamless high resolution 360 view? It was AM radio in
comparison.

Since Adams used 8 X10 view cameras, I'd say that such a panorama would have been VERY high resolution (and the panoramic tripod head would have guaranteed seamlessness). You must realize that digital has a way to go to even match 35mm Kodachrome resolution, much less 8 X10 resolution!

Therefore we have to assume that Mr. Adams

didn't take such a panorama because he didn't want to.

Way to drill down to root cause.
A more probable explanation is because the results would have been
unimpressive.

A panorama made out of a bunch of 8 X 10 contact prints would have been unimpressive? Are you sure that you have any idea at all about what you are talking about here?

Also, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject, which is your

somewhat non-sequitur remark that taking great pictures with a cellphone

is somehow akin to listening to "amazing quality music" from an MP3

player.

The point that you seem to miss is that high-end audio...like high-end
photography hasn't died.
It's simply become ubiquitous.

I'm not missing it at all. It's just that you (A) by using mediocre examples, you failed to express the point very well, and (B) you keep extolling mediocrity in both images and music reproduction by calling it "high-end" when neither are anything of the sort. Both lossy compression in music and digital cameras are compromises of convenience over quality.

Of course we all look forward to the day when digital photography matches the resolution of Kodachrome film - and I have no doubt that it will get there, but lossy music compression will never sound as good as even a 16-bit/44.1-KHz CD, much less something more high-resolution such as SACD or 24-bit LPCM.

All that remains is your highly subjective and rather pompous argument that
people don't listen right.

If your definition of being correct is pomposity, Then I guess I'm pompous.