Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default The death of audio

In article ,
ScottW wrote:

On Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:54:49 AM UTC-7, Robert Peirce wrote:
ScottW, everybody takes pictures. Few people who take pictures are
photographers. Several actual photographers have done remarkable work with
iPhones. It isn't the equipment. It's what you do with it.

Kind of like some audiophiles listen to amazing quality music on MP3 players
and earbuds.

ScottW

Not quite. The first digital cameras were only about 2Mb. I use a
Nikon that is 4Mb and I believe iPhones are 5 with an increasingly good
lens. You can easily get 20-30Mb today but once you get to about 300
dpi on a print you aren't going to be able to see more resolution
without a magnifying glass. OTOH, if you print at 50 dpi you are going
to see it right away compared to 300 but not necessarily by itself.

Maybe that is the real audio analogy. High-end fanatics are using a
magnifying glass. MP3 listeners are using 50 dpi but since they haven't
seen 300 dpi they don't know how much better it is.

My first audio experience was listening to an old AM radio. I was only
in it for the music and it sounded fine. Later I heard better equipment
and my tastes improved. Today I probably couldn't bear to listen to
that old AM radio. OTOH, I can't really hear the difference in a 3000
dpi rig without ignoring the music in favor of the sound.