Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default 300B dead after 9 months - HELP

On Aug 3, 6:43 pm, "West" wrote:

With limited info, I would take a SWAG to say that there is a 50% chance
that a component failure cause your valve to get dorked. Check for this
before replacing the valve (preferably with a 5R4G).

That is highly unlikely with Chinese tubes. What is far more likely is
that this (and equally likely the rest of the tubes in the unit) are
marginal at-best and that the OP is exceedlingly lucky that little
damage was done other than the rectifier tube failing.

From the "looks" of the amp, it is pretty clear that most of the tubes

were chosen for their looks vs. for any other particular reason with
specific reference to the 274B and its nice fat ST shape. That and the
"300B" cachet. Were I to let the cynic in me escape, I would posit
that a couple of hack designers got together and asked each other what
was on the cutting edge of popularity these days.... and came up with
the 300B, the 6SN7 and so forth. Then the fancy aluminum trim....

Ah, well.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

p.s. Perhaps on the FAQ, one of the general items that should be
included would be a general warning on "Things Chinese" and the
problems that come along with them.