Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default only one real issue I'm finding with monitor speaker setup versus car

Mike Rivers wrote: "Balance, panning, whatever. I know you're prone
to disagreement, so you're probably thinking that "panning" means
that when you turn the knob all the way to the left, the right channel
goes off entirely and the left channel goes up 2.5 to 6 dB from the
centered position."

I actually thought panning is what you
called them in cars! I'll have to listen
to mine while leaning over my car's
center console and turning the balance
from one side to the other, and see
if the side 'panned' toward actually
gets louder.

Another issue is, in my car, the polarity
on the non-radio sources(CD and Aux
In) is reversed to one side - supposedly
for time-arrival purposes. This was not
the case in my older vehicles. I verified
that the phantom center for mono AM
& FM is solid, where as the phantom for
mono CDs or spoken MP3 is vague.

Of course you wouldn't notice it when