Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default only one real issue I'm finding with monitor speaker setup versuscar

On 03/14/2018 09:45 PM, Ron C wrote:
On 3/14/2018 9:10 PM, JBI wrote:
On 03/14/2018 05:46 PM, geoff wrote:
On 15/03/2018 10:10 AM, JBI wrote:

I listen pretty loud and like a lot of bass.* In fact, it surprises
folks how much bass a simple cassette adapter set up has until I
reveal a headphone amp ahead of the MP3 player, with the amp set for
high bass. **Makes a big difference.

Only semi-related to your situation ..... I find a sub (small
'under-seat' variety makes casual recreational car-listening far more
satisfactory, because one can hear the bass without the door-speakers
overloading, and keep the overall level down to something sensible.

Interesting, never thought about that.* I doubt I could ever get one
to work with the existing factory radio system though.* It definitely
would lessen the strain on the OEM speakers, however.

Mine has a remote sub level (or 'Volume' for Thekma's benefit) to
partially compensate for varying sources, ie typical FM station
versus 'pure' CD/ Ipod (lossless), or other unfriggedwith sound.

geoff

Hmm, so I'm guessing you've never done a MLSSA or any other
analysis of your listening space. Do you even have a clue about
the frequency response of your car's sound system?

Actually, I've been considering that. Roughly, the car offers low bass
and high treble and I have always adjusted the EQ in the opposite
direction to compensate. Not perfect, but decent enough.

~~
From what you've described thus far it seems you are dealing
with a rather limited and quite quirky space. The more you know
about that space the better you'll be equipped to deal with it.

Very limited, it's an old Mercury Sable car. Two front and two rear
speakers. The radio offers no EQ other than simple bass/ treble
controls, so freq adjustments mainly come from either the MP3 player's
built in EQ, which I can adjust, and/or the headphone amp I have
following it (but really all the amp has is an "extra bass" switch).