Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Default Receiver Advice Wanted, My Nachamichi appears to be dying.

On 11/5/2014 3:05 PM, Low Hertz wrote:

I'm not an audiophile. I'm a professional musician with a love for real acoustic music. But I'm very picky about my stereo equipment.

I only want to drive 2 speakers, 2 EPI with Heil Air Motion Transformers.

Mostly, I want to plug my TV audio speakers into it, regular RCA that obviously have power as they are volume sensitive, and listen to National Public Radio. I have my computer connected to my TV with a USB to HDMI connection, so all my computer streaming goes through my TV and stereo.
I love sound scores. I also use Pandora and MP3s, but know they are limited.

I had a Philips 212 Turntable that I believe was stolen by my movers.

I'm looking for very clean, realistic sound.
I don't know s*** about new equipment.

My general advice for most audiophiles is to go out and hear live, unamplified music in a good hall. Real music is nothing like recorded music. Even the best systems do not reproduce life music. That said,
I'm looking for the best at what exists, but isn't absurdly expensive.
I'd like to put a limit of around $500, hopefully less but if necessary I pony up some more to get something amazing.

You have a pair of speakers that you really like the sound of and are
looking for a receiver to drive them. Don't over think this one -
there's not a lot of audible difference between amplifiers (some say
that there is none). Designing amplifiers is very well defined problem
that has been pretty much solved. It's not like designing a musical
instrument, which is all about art and taste. Amps are basically about
the numbers.

I'd say go with a quality brand like Denon or Yamaha or similar that has
the features and wattage you want. You can spend more, but you reach the
point of diminishing (some would say flat) returns at the $500 price
point. Maybe before if you don't need the wattage.

Since you're using your TV as an input selector you won't need many
inputs on your receiver. Sounds like you will want a phono preamp in
case you want to replace your turntable, and a tuner for the NPR.

Agree that recorded music is only a pale imitation of live even on the
best equipment.

//Walt

--
//Walt