Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

Default Cylindrical vs. box shaped subwoofers

On 7/19/2012 3:03 PM, Barkingspyder wrote:
On Thursday, July 19, 2012 4:04:43 AM UTC-7, Dick Pierce wrote:
One of the real big problems with these concrete forms
is that they are wax-coated (first to prevent water
from soaking in to them when they're filled with
concrete, secondly to make it easy to strip them off
once they're done.

The wax coating makes the use of any adhesive-based
solution a real challenge.

Possibly, there is some other brand of tubing that would be thicker and
possibly more rigid.

If you're so committed to marrying these things, what's
wrong with the idea of taking two forms of somewhat different
diameter and filling the space between them with sand?

Nothing I suppose. I was hoping to keep the whole thing as small
as possible and as light as possible, but since this is likely
to be the last sub I ever construct it's entirely doable.

swell, unfortunately, the mechanical properties that best suit
the design and construction of subwoofers don't include "as
light as possible" as viable choices. "Light as possible"
means flexible (claims about the superior rigidity of cylinders
notwithstanding), acoustically transparent, and a bunch of
other things: all are poor choices for a subwoofer enclosure.

Consider a piano: the soundboard is deliberately made "as
light as possible." Is that what you REALLY want?