Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Opera: Good acoustics with digital piano or bad acoustics with acoustic piano

"David Grant" wrote in message

I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's
audition cd. I have the option of doing the recording in
my not-so-hot sounding livingroom with an acoustic baby
grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a
roland digital piano.

Just because it is an electronic piano, doesn't eliminate the possibility of
it sounding good.

Very much depends on how it is mixed and what the speakers at church sound
like.

Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice
would seem to be the church,

Not so obvious if the presentation of the Roland is suboptimal.

but as I have no past
experience doing opera in my livingroom or recording
digital pianos I'd love a bit of reassurance!

One thing to watch out for is that churches as a rule are much more live
than concert halls.

The heavy reverb can be good news because the reverb may conceal some of the
differences between the Roland and a good acoustic piano.