Posted to alt.audio.equipment,alt.home-theater.misc,rec.audio.tech
rdclark rdclark is offline

Default Overheating of Onkyo TX-SR 606

On Oct 14, 10:20*am, FrankMeng wrote:
I bought a receiver of Onkyo TX-SR 606.
Everthing works fine, except the receiver becomes very hot if the
power is on.
Even there is no signal to the receiver, as long as the power is on, I
can't put my hand on it for more than half a second because the box
burns my hand.
Is this normal for Onkyo TX-SR 606?
Will the overheating cause a problem after a while (several months, or
years)?

Modern digital receivers require a lot of ventilation. They should not
be enclosed, there should be flow-through ventilation, and there
should be several inches of clear air above them.

That said, Onkyo's recent receivers have a reputation for running
hotter than other brands, and many owners are adding forced-air
ventilation to their installations. There is a way to display an
internal temperature readout on Onkyos, which may help determine if
yours is unusually hot. See the FAQ he

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=935808

This is for the TX-SR705, but the procedure is the same:

How do I see the Temperature readout on this receiver?
1) Turn on Receiver
2) HOLD down the "Display" button and press "Standby" button once.
3) Release the "Display" button.
4) Now press the "Tone" button once
5) The temperature in Celsius and Fahrenheit will be displayed. These
temperatures are being displayed in real time so you can leave this
info on display for as long as you want to monitor the receivers temp.