Posted to rec.audio.pro
Anahata Anahata is offline

Default Recording Magazine

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 09:09:12 -0400, Arny Krueger wrote:

Please educate me. Litz wire seems to have only mechanical advantages.
It obviously doesn't do anything for skin effect, despite much
audiophile lore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire

Seems to cover it quite convincingly. Prior to reading that, I hadn't
appreciated that each strand in Litz wire is separately insulated. That's
the key to making it work.

"The weaving or twisting pattern of litz wire is designed so individual
wires will reside for short intervals on the outside of cable and for
short intervals on the inside of the cable. This allows the interior of
the litz wire to contribute to the cable's conductivity."

Of course it's all irrelevant to audio...

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk