Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

Default Recording Magazine

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
| Ethan Winer wrote:
| On Sep 27, 3:21 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
| Well, the question then becomes: is it the purpose of a magazine to
| teach basic technology fundamentals? The thing is, fundamental stuff
| doesn't change.... so presumably there is a better way to present it
| than with a monthly magazine. Magazines are for news.
|
| That's a good point Scott, though "news" can be more than just reviews
| and announcements of new / current products. News can also be
| explaining techniques that take advantage of new features recently
| added to a software update.
|
| Yes, absolutely! And stuff like explaining new features and new
techniques
| for existing software is EXACTLY the kind of thing magazines should be
doing.

| It's the kind of thing RE/P used to do also. The first time I ever heard
| about jamming all the buttons in on the 1176 was in RE/P.
|
| But magazines can also teach basics. A lot
| of people will not buy a book for whatever reason, and many magazines
| have had ongoing teaching series. Recording magazine, the subject of
| this thread, is a good example of useful tutorials that span many
| issues.
|
| There's only so many times you can run the same tutorials over and over
| again, though.
| --scott
| --
| "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

No, I don't think there is a limit to how many times basics are covered in
magazines, whether it is aviation, boating, or audio. I see articles on
"landing a tail dragger" for instance that contains no information that
wasn't accepted common knowledge in articles published 50 years ago. And, I
read them.. or skim them... even though I've got a bunch of tail dragger
time. I want to see how this author/pilot tells the story, and the review
can never hurt. Same with audio. I guess the trick is, where on the
spectrum from super basic to sophisticated do you pitch the magazine. What
is the balance of basic to esoteric? Some readers deal with circuit design
or room accoustics every day . Most only occasionally involve themselves at
those levels. At my level of current involvement in audio and the
associated electronics it can be years between similar diagnostic and repair
issues. I need refreshers. So bring it all on for me.

Steve King