Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

Default Recording Magazine

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:08:42 -0400, Ethan Winer wrote
(in article
):

Thankfully, Frank Wells at Audio Media is sane and
very knowledgeable, so the article did get published.

--Ethan

Frank is one of the guys who does know his stuff, but you're right (whoever),
it's a balance between advertising and editorial.

I had a guy on GearSlutz try to tear me a new asshole because I had industry
contacts, figuring I must be writing what they want me to. In looking back,
it may have been somebody who works/worked for a company I didn't review so
favorably. (no names)

The code words, btw, are "for the money." When you see them and the price
seems really reasonable, it's usually due to the fact that the performance
isn't equivalent to the good stuff, but it's also cheaper.

I had a hard time convincing publishers to let me:
1. Write in second person.
That was weird. I told them that, "if one does this or that, one should
expect..." was offputting, stiff and unnatural. They were VERY resistant to
let me use second person, but went with it.

2. Compare the review piece with other known gear in the review. This was
"unheard of" and possibly injurious to the other mfgr's model. I told them I
would do it in a clinical way. I did. I told them the best way to explain
what a piece of gear is about is to compare it to a known entity.

I think MIX caught some flak when I review a Rode, the NTK I think. I had
other engineers' comment that they liked it in VO situations as well or
better than a U 87. It was THEIR comment, not mine, but it was in my review
so I got tagged.

This very newsgroup is pretty weird as well. I was making a comment about a
female editor on this newsgroup; something that came down weird in trying to
get something reviewed. Out of professionalism and courtesy, I never
mentioned her name. Some weasel in rec.audio.pro pimped it up and sent it to
another female editor in an effort to get me in trouble. It was settled
pretty quickly, but that's the kind of nasty stuff that goes on here, right
in this newsgroup.

And, btw, I know who you are.

Regards,

Ty Ford