Ty Ford

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:08:48 -0400, The Horta wrote
(in article ):

I've recorded some various samples with different (written)
direction and emailed them off to a pro (I won't mention names),
but I'd rather get a variety of impressions/opinions/advice. I've
never done this type of thing before and have only recently
conceded to my wife and many others who always harp on me about
"using my voice" for yada, yada, yada. I know it's RAW and I don't
have a fragile ego about my potential -- or lack thereof.

Anyway, I have a 7Mb MP3 that I'd love to email (or snail mail a
WAV CD) to anyone with experience and the ability to offer
reasonably professional critique, outside of "you suck, go home
loser." I'd ask Ty, but he seems like he has a FULL plate. If there
seems to be any deeply hidden talent I don't mind investing the
effort and money necessary to extract it.

The samples were recorded on my low-end "studio" gear and it's the
first time I've used it (no pop screen) so I'm not sure of mic
quality, off-axis, distance, and just about everything else there
is to know. Basically I'm an idiot, so keep that in mind. The world
is full of stupid people and I am proud to be their leader.

If interested just email me and I'll either email or snail mail the
files.

I apologize if this breaks any etiquette barriers.

Brendan
bgetchel [at] gmail [dot] youknowwhat

Brenden,

1. Where are you?
2. Have you read my cautions concerning getting into VO? (on my site)
3. Being passably good at the art and craft of VO is one thing. Being good at
marketing your service is absolutely required. It's 80% looking for work, 20%
doing the work. Unless you're prepared to spend about $1k on a demo, more on
it's replication and a LOT of time marketing yourself, save the money for a
nice vacation. The competition for "real life" work is stiff.

These days, even AFTRA/SAG people are cutting each others throats to get
gigs. I had a situation recently in which a long-time narrator decided to
give away his studio fee just to get the voice fee (and to get the account
away from me). There's a special place in Hell for folks like that.

In New York, I hear there are AFTRA/SAG talent quite willing to work for
below scale.

AFTRA/SAG have done it to themselves, in my opinion. They have been
arrogantly pushing scale up without being mindful of the market. The votes on
contracts are based on membership. NY and LA have the most, so, pretty much,
what they say goes. NY and LA have no sense of what life is like in the rest
of the country and they just don't care. I'm already seeing breakdown in the
lesser locals.

It's really sad. An entire way of working is melting down because those who
could make a difference don't have a clue.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com