Posted to rec.audio.pro
James[_7_] James[_7_] is offline

Default Can you ID these headphones?

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 9:10:47 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:

The initial intention of the second amendment was to preserve the ability
to have a revolution; that is, it exists to protect the right to form an
independent militia. As such, it really shouldn't apply at all to handguns,
which are of little military use, and it should instead protect your right
to own tanks, bomber aircraft, and nuclear weapons, which are the current
state of the art military hardware in much the way that guns were in 1789..

The thing is, modern military hardware can make asymmetric warfare very very
effective, and there are some good arguments why one might not want to allow
private ownership of nuclear weapons, for instance.

So we are kind of stuck in a difficult place that was never really forseen
by the founding fathers, and which people on both sides of the aisle today
persist in ignoring.
--scott

It's not just to preserve the ability to form a militia. When the 2A was written firearm ownership was ubiquitous. People used them for hunting for food and for recreation, for self-defense. I.e. basically the same reasons they own them today. Sure, resistance against tyranny was also part of it - the British made efforts to confiscate arms and ammunition to maintain control over the population. Dictatorships are famous for confiscating firearms.

True, today most people don't have to hunt for food, and there aren't many indian raids these days but there are plenty of criminals and clowns like Eric Swalwell and Beto O'Rourke around to remind us there are those happy to usurp our rights.

It was also made clear that the 2A didn't grant people a right, it was explicitly acknowledging a natural right. The correct answer to "why do you need a gun?" is "it's none of your damned business" if someone doesn't have a history of behaving criminally, isn't mentally deranged. And by criminally I mean robbery, murder, etc. I don't mean because a government has criminalized firearms.