Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default What is the best clipped peak restoration tool?

"geoff" wrote in message
Sound Forge has a Clipped Peak Restoration tool. Seems to work in a fairly
basic way.

Yep, that's been my assessment of it too, and rarely much, if any,
improvement.

I agree with what others have already said, slight clipping is not so much
of a problem, in fact most modern CD's use it to a greater or lesser extent
in the mastering process. (not that I think that is a good thing however)
Major clipping can rarely be improved much beyond some high frequency
filtering.

Given the 100dB+ dynamic range of even some cheap sound cards these days,
clipping is *easy* to avoid in the first place, so no tools should be
necessary anyway.

MrT.