Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Ohms specs for headphones...do they matter?

genericaudioperson wrote:

I've been researching headphones. I noticed a lot of them are rated
at 32 ohms. Then many of the expensive ones are rated at 100+ ohms.

Does that mean a high-ohm rating has a correlation to sound quality?

No, not at all. But the cheaper ones tend to be lower impedance so they
will be louder with portable gear that has limited voltage drive (due
to running on batteries).

You'll still find a few 600 ohm ones too. That used to be the industry
standard for years and years. They sound great plugged into an Ampex,
not so good plugged into an iPod.