Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

Default Best Way to Attenuate

"Iain Churches" wrote in message
news
"west" wrote in message
news:uFLbi.6710$xg4.2401@trnddc08...
Can we take an off the shelf CD Player and install ,
let's say a 10K stepped
attenuator or Alps type pot inside the CD player on the
output line? Would this make a cleaner audio input to
the tube amp? The 2 alternatives are an outboard passive
"preamp" with let's say 100k attenuator or installing it
inside the amp. I tried the passive preamp route with
mixed results but got straightened out from info in a previous thread by
using
a much shorter interlink cable.

The answer became clear in the previous attenuator
thread, I think. If you must have an attenuator followed
by a long cable then it should have a cathode follower.

I would think that a low-gain buffer would be more to the point.