Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Best Way to Attenuate

west wrote:

Can we take an off the shelf CD Player and install , let's say a 10K stepped
attenuator or Alps type pot inside the CD player on the output line? Would
this make a cleaner audio input to the tube amp?

Cleaner than WHAT ?

The 2 alternatives are an outboard passive "preamp" with let's say 100k
attenuator

Bad choice. As previously described, 100k is too high a value if you're
concerned about possible treble loss with longer cables.

Use 10k. No CD player will have any trouble driving it.

or installing it inside the amp. I tried the passive preamp route with mixed
results but got straightened out from info in a previous thread by using a
much shorter
interlink cable.

What exactly are you concerned about ?

Graham