Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Attenuate or run hot mic directly into A/D convertor?

Sunflowermanuk wrote:
Thanks Scott, sounds like a no-brainer solution then - I'm going
shopping for a clutch of inline attenuators to put between mic and pre.
Any preference make-wise or are they all much of a muchness?

I like the Shures, because you can run a truck over them without breaking
them and my Shure dealer will give me a discount on them. They're all
really just a couple resistors in a barrel, so there isn't a substantial
difference other than ruggedness.

The A-Ts are fine. I also have a bag of old GenRad ones around here somewhere
that are 30 dB fixed and also perfectly fine.

Normally for field recording I'll split the whole stage snake and pull it
into my multitrack rig, which has Millennia front ends. Occasionally folks
will be running a line level signal from something on stage down the snake.
I'll just stick a pad in there and keep going. The S/N isn't as good as
it would be if I bypassed the preamp, but it's so good anyway that it's not
an issue.