Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison

Default Music Man HD-130.

"David Farber"

Hi Phil,

I plugged the main power cord into a current limiting AC outlet (200 watt
light bulb in series) via a variac. Just turning up the AC voltage a
little
bit caused the current to take off. I think what happened was when the
originally loose yellow wire to the filter cap was not soldered on
properly,
it allowed the amp to turn on because there was no high voltage output.
Once
I soldered it on, it restored the high voltage and then I was able to
locate
the original fault.

** So your ".. too much current at idle" = I am not able to bring the
variac up more than a tad without all hell breaking loose ?

Interesting use of the term "idle" there.

....... Phil