Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Default Is Sony Acid Pro a DAW program?

Mike Rivers wrote:
On 3/29/2012 3:40 PM, geoff wrote:

Actually the mixer view is a paradigm I actively avoid, as is
unnecessary in these apps.

I'm afraid that I don't have the imagination or discipline
to mix without something that looks like a mixing console.
But then I only work with actual played-and-recorded music
which is less than perfect, and I want the mix to end up
that way (less than perfect).

No problem! ;-D

Multiple montiors is just about essential in any DAW ( with
undockable windows).

(...) Sure, you can capture tracks easily
enough with a single monitor, unless of course you also want
to have the interface's application open for low latency
monitoring and metering, for example, but editing and mixing
becomes a separate operation. You can't really work with
both functions at once very conveniently, with most DAW
programs, on a single screen.

A couple of decades ago, when I was doing a lot of pro video work I used
mulitple monitors because the computer monitor was low-res and less than
full color, so the video was handled by a separate card running its own
NTSC/PAL calibrated video monitor. Not much choice there.

But, for an audio DAW, it's entirely feasible to edit and mix simultaneously
on a single monitor so long as one isn't stuck working with a
pseudo-hardware UI, and AFAIK, most DAW programs don't force you to use a
pseudo-hardware UI.

--
best regards,

Neil