Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Is Sony Acid Pro a DAW program?

On 3/28/2012 8:14 PM, Ron Capik wrote:

Sony's having a sale on some of their software, including
Acid Pro. It looks like it's a DAW program.

I went to a private press briefing (they even bought lunch)
of ACID in its more or less most current version (this was
at a San Francisco AES maybe 4 years ago) when they were
pushing it as being a friendly and full fledged DAW program.
I was impressed with the layout of its mixer view and that
seemed like it would be a comfortable way for me, a DAW
protester, to learn how to use it.

I was going to review it for Pro Audio Review. I failed
miserably, and eventually gave up. I suppose I just wasn't
willing to put hours and hours into learning its vocabulary
- it wasn't intuitive enough to get my interest quickly.
Further, I never got accustomed to how many mouse clicks it
took to find the mixer controls I was looking for. But then
I have this same problem with every DAW that I've ever
tried. Monitors just aren't big enough to display a full set
of channel strips, and that's what I want. Your mileage, and
patience, may differ.

I have a bunch of 6 track 24 bit wave files I'd like to
mix down. I can't seem to get Acid to open them.

Can anyone here tell me how to load them into Acid?
If not, why not. Also, if not then what is Acid good for?

You mean 6-channel WAV files? Or 6 WAV files that make up a
6-track recording? Individual WAV files (mono or stereo)
imported easily, but that's part of what I meant about
learning the vocabulary. It's been at least two years since
I set ACID aside so I can't do it, but that was one of the
things that was fairly intuitive. I recall that it was able
to import mutlti-channel WAV files, but I never tried it
because I didn't have any to work with. The documentation
wasn't very good which is one of the reasons why I gave up.
They kept pointing me toward videos but I don't have the
patience for learning that way

ACID has its plalce, doing what ACID does best, which is
manipulating fragments of audio and making something
resembling music from them. Using it as a DAW for recording
and mixing is probably a poor use for it. I now use Reaper
and it makes a lot more sense to me. But I still prefer
working with a real mixing console and don't need all the
features of a DAW in my work. Computers are good recorders
and good editors. They can be good signal processors. But I
have yet to find the user interface that integrates them all
in a way that's easy for me to use as separate tools.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff