Default reliability and replacement of Mag ribbon tweeters?

wrote in message ...
My Mag 3.6Rs are about 3 years old and one of the tweeters has
developed slight audible distortion which is noticeable on female
vocals.

After further testing it appears to be an intermittent problem with
the amplifier. I hooked up different speakers and they had the exact
same audible distortion as my Maggies. Yet through my headphones there
is not a trace of distortion, so the source components and "preamp"
switchbox are clean.

I wired up a cable to run the amp output into my headphones to listen
to the amp (greatly attenuated) on the headphones. I could hear an
easily audible 60 Hz buzz but no other distortion. But my headphones
are 300 ohms and take only milliwatts so they're a much easier load to
drive than my Maggies.

This question is for the guys who have more EE experience than I do:
Is it possible for a bad transistor to be clean driving high impedance
loads at very low power levels, yet cause distortion only when driving
low impedance loads at medium and higher levels?

Thanks,