thelizman

Default why are salesmen such idiots?

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Just wondering, but why is this crossposted to hell and back?

non-audio newsgroups deleted

Btw - rough comparison:

128K - AM stereo quality.
192K - FM quality.(both with no hiss or artifacts, though)
240K - Tape or Vinyl.
320K - Good tape - Metal or Hi-fi VCR or R-R.

Very rough - I'm wondering how you came up with those figures. For
starters, AM is not available in stereo - there's not enough bandwidth
to encode both channels on a single carrier. Regardless, AM quality is
equivalent to about 40 kbps MP3. FM radio quality begins at a mere 80
Kbps, and CD quality needs only 113 kbps. Of course, this all depends on
at least the following factors:

a) The codec - lame is probably the best choice, unless you have more
money than disk space and brains, in which case you'll want the fhg
(Fraunhofer Group) codec (which I'm told is still freely available for
the taking if you can find an older version of MusicMatch Jukebox).

b) The amount of information - and ironically classical music needs less
space because there is less overall information than contemporary music.

c) The available system resources on the machine doing the encoding.

Regardless, MP3 stinks for discriminating ears. Use ogg - better quality
at lower bitrates. I've got 6 mb Ogg files which put their 14 mb MP3
counterparts to shame. They've come a long way since 99.

--
thelizman

teamROCS Car Audio Forums
http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than the rec.audio.car newsgroup without the express written
permission of the author is forbidden.