Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Why No Gain Control on Adcom Amp?

Matt Faunce wrote:
OK. I was wrong about the hiss (or rather a sh sound) being there without
an input source. Without a source it is dead quiet. The source of the hiss
was my computer, and, I did have to have my ear within 12" of the tweeter
to notice it. I hooked my microphones-micpre-reverb
unit-recorder-Adcom-speakers, and it was much much quieter.

Of course.
And the level control on the amplifier, if it did have one, would be on
the _input_ side before the power amp stage. This would allow you to run
your sound card hotter and not notice so much how noisy it is.

As I said earlier, a passive attenuator box like that $65 Behringer thing
will do the exact same thing, if you're stuck having to do that.