Steven Sullivan

Default A comparative versus evaluative, double-blind vs. sighted control test

Nousaine wrote:
I have a SACD player.

If SACD is judged impractical, then I would suggest a CD test between two CD
players judged to be likely audibly different...say an Arcam 27 versus a
Sony $300 job. However, the equipment would have to be on long term loan,
since it would take probably at least six months to complete the testing.

Who would supply same?

We would also need neutral proctors to run the test and record scores.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * *

CONCLUSION
There would be a fair amount of work needed to get this off the ground, but
it is doable. In particular, I would want broad agreement within RAHE that
it was worthwhile doing, and I would want input from members of appropriate
test SACDS or CDs and tracks for testing, and I would want myself, Tom, and
the other participant to agree on the selections to be used.

Your comments and suggestions and questions are hereby solicited.

Harry Lavo

I like the SACD vs CD comparison.

Rather than all this business about getting consensus on RAHE about components
and worthwhile-ness and such, why not just have Harry list some components/treatments
he *already hears differences between*, and test *those* claims in a DBT,proctored
by Tom. There's no need for an 'evaluation' step there -- Harry's already done the
'evaluation'.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director