Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Step 2 on Fisher Iron

Bret Ludwig wrote:

You have reinvented the Cary SLA-70, I think. It uses a single 6SN7 to
drive a pair of cathode bias 6L6s or similar. it also used tube
rectifiers, no big deal. It's actually a good beginner circuit,
performance is not earthshaking but listenable and easy to
troubleshoot. Beats most any SET all to hell. I'll try to find a
schematic.

I have heard of Cary units. There is a modern Chinese version out
lately that I discovered when searching using 5881 & 12AX7 that appears
to show SS rectification:

http://www.divertech.com/aslwaveav20dt.htm

This came up this morning, funny that it should be exactly what I had
in mind, and even showing 6L6 outputs. As to "beats most any SET", my
answer would be "at least that". What is even more of a coincidence is
that there are a pair of these beasts at my friend's shop nearby
(www.tsto.com). Maybe he would lend me one for reverse engineering....
hmmm....

Shameless Endorsement: If anyone in the Southeastern PA (or beyond)
region is looking for an honest Audio Dealer, Mike Leshner is one of
those very rare individuals.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA