Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

Default Acoustat MK-121-B

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:32:52 -0700, wrote
(in article ):

Sonnova wrote:

And then there were
the original Quads, where it all started. These quirky speakers had
marvelous midrange but absolutely no bass below about 70 Hz and no treble
above about 6 KHz. I've seen hybrid designs in the '70's where a large
frame held two Quads per side (one inverted over the other to form a
continuous arc from top to bottom) with a Decca ribbon tweeter mounted
between them and a large woofer in a box at the bottom of the frame
(forget who made these things but they actually sounded really good for
the time. They were terribly expensive though, as I recall).

The most famous iteration was Mark ("I never met a preamp that cost too
much") Levinson's HQD system, using the 24 inch Hartley woofer, all driven
by half a dozen (cheaper by the six pack--not!) ML-2, 25 watt class A amps.

Peter Aczel came up with a similar home-made device using the Janus woofer
and (I'm doing this from memory, so don't hold me to it) Dick Sequerra's
Pyramid tweeter. I think SME used a stacked Quad setup in their listening
room, too.

Michael

I believe that the ones to which I was referring were the Levinson HQD system
because the dealer at which I heard these things was an authorized Levinson
dealer.