Posted to rec.audio.pro
dE|_ dE|_ is offline

Default Encryption *As Recorded* can anyone give me a clue?

"DougD" wrote:

Live internet streaming to a supreme 3rd Party, only they have access to
the
server. Now there's an idea.

Trouble with this one is it's not just for planned interviews, it's 24/7
recording of all radio communication. There'd have to be some kind of
over-writing method after a couple of days or you'd run out of disk space
pretty quick.

There's a company up here in Canada called HaiVision. They market
video/audio streaming and compression systems geared towards
secured govt. applications, universities, hospitals, as well as plain
old set top boxes. One of the methods that they provide for their
secured streaming is not only encryption, but also that until a secure
user makes a request for the data, there is no perm. play app on
the playback machine. The playback app is sent as part of the data
stream, and has encoding/decrypt info that is encoded particular to
that one event, and the particular decoder app. As soon as playback
has stopped, the application wipes itself and since there is no local
caching on the play machine, no chance to manipulate the data.
I'm only covering the basics, and probably am not giving a very
accurate overview, so I'd go read their info yourself.. They do seem
to have gotten the blessings of the USG for secure video conferencing,
so they at least have their foot in the door on that. They also have an
office/plant in Chicago. It does seem to be a pretty good method of
providing secure streams, and it does have real time logging of users,
what was watched and by "whom", and as well multiple paths as to
how data is distributed and even what levels of compression can be
applied or not depending on client needs or bandwith limits, on a
user by user basis. We are getting their encoding hardware put in
here in Victoria as part of our underwater Neptune research system,
where they will be encoding both SD and HD streams of the live
HD underwater video to go over our edu nets within the province
and country.
And of course, this is not an endorsment, and I have no association
with this company..

A new codec with each stream, that's cool. Whether that would be applicable
here I'm not sure, but I'll keep it in mind.

--
dE|_