Arny Krueger

"Mack" wrote in message
I posted earlier this summer as to aids for better singing for someone
like myself who cannot sing, but at least wants to try at home only. I
realize it is for my own entertainment.

Some kind folks in this group advised that the best microphone was a
Shure SM58 for me to get. Upon looking for the SM58, I discovered
that Shure offers a more pricey Beta 58. I don't know if this more
pricey mike is worth the difference.

Questions.

Is the Shure Beta 58 worth the extra money?

Possibly, if you need what it does.

What are the differences between the Shure SM58 and Shure Beta58?

The SM58 is a true cardioid with a null on the back side, while the
"supercardioid" (hypercardioid?) SM58 does not have a null on the back side,
but has better directionality at let's say 45 degrees on either side. The
SM58 is perhaps a little rougher above 4 KHz, not that either of them is
anything like flat.

If a vocalist stands some distance from floor monitors and can conveninently
point the mike's tail into the throats of the drivers in the monitors, then
the SM 57 would be the mic of choice. If the vocalist stands with the
monitor up pretty close, and points the tail of the mic towards the
listeners, then the Beta 59 would be the better choice.