Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Default Does anybody sell pre-made resistor "gizmos" for sm57/58 mics?

On 17/09/2020 7:11 am, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Roy W. Rising wrote:
When I started in TV sound in '65, I was told the mic preamp input impedanc=
e should be "2K or greater" to avoid loading ribbon mics, which lose HF per=
formance when loaded.

And see, when I started in the seventies, I was told the opposite, that
ribbons wanted to see a lower impedance. Roy is correct, and Olson backs
him up, and what I was told was wrong, but apparently a lot of people
believed it at the time.

Surely all passive ribbon mics have output transformers, and the optimal
model or brand ?

The RE15 is an unsung hero, alongside the Sennheiser 441. Both sound pretty
good when you're standing behind them. Try THAT with an SM-57.
--scott

And the AKG D224E, not omni, put freq response pretty similar all angles.

geoff