Isaac Wingfield

(Michael Squires) wrote:

Sorry to come in so late on this thread, but wasn't this topic the subject
of Dr. Klipsch's research and the basis of the K-horn design?

No, and no. And also no.

1) Klipsch did not have a PhD (except possibly honorarial), and so he
had no "doctoral thesis".

2) The K-horn was developed to provide higher efficiency than direct
radiators, and so allow a lower powered amplifier to drive it. In 1941
(yes!), that was an important consideration; 10 watts was a significant
amount of audio power, and insufficient to drive most speakers of the
day to "impressive" levels. A K-Horn driven with ten clean watts is
rather impressive. At 40 watts, it's downright scary. I have heard a
pair driven with a Crown DC-300. Once. I don't want to, ever again. I
don't like it when it's *my ears* that are generating the
intermodulation distortion.

3) His research into doppler distortion (which he also refered to as "FM
distortion") came much later, as an effort to explain why the K-horn
sounds so clean compared to direct radiators operating at the same SPL,
especially at high levels (say, well over 100 dB).

Isaac