Bob Cain

Mark wrote:

If you set up your coupling tube so that the speaker cone pushes the
air completly and the air moves in the tube without loss and at the
far end the air pushes the mic diaphram completly SO THAT THE SPEKAER
CONE AND MIC DIPHRAM ARE MOVING TOGETHER IN LOCK STEP WITH THE SAME
DISPLACEMENT, then you are correct, there is no Doppler effect.

Yes, exactly. And if they aren't I'd like to be shown why,
exactly and without any unparamaterized or underived
formulas. All axioms should be stated for purposes of
criticism and a derivation proceed from there to a proof
that reciprocity fails in this case. Because if it doesn't,
then if you make the active piston passive and measure
motion due to passage of a wave (coming from the side of it
opposite the receiver) and then make the piston active to
generate the same motion, the reciever at the end will see
two different things. I don't believe it.

I really don't expect any of my opponents in this debate to
address this because it seems they never do if they can't
explain it and then it remains invalid by their silence as
if it had never been uttered.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein